Monday, November 7, 2011

Cashing in with Coupons at BJ's

Saving Money is Hard Work!
I did it again.  I went to the BJ's without my coupon book.  Granted, I'm not much for cutting out a lot of coupons, but the monthly membership book can really save you money, especially if you are going to buy the items in the book anyway.  Just buying a big box of diapers, paper towels, baby wipes and juice boxes with the right coupons can easily net you $15 in savings, just from the members coupon book.  Not too shabby with hardly any effort.

My unsuccessful trip turned into an fascinating lesson in BJ's couponing.

Savings Scenario #1:  Get an Extra Coupon Book at the store

Go to the Membership Desk and ask for a Members book.  The lady in front of me did this.  It was early in the month and she simply asked if the member books had been mailed out yet since she did not receive her copy.  The associate said yes and asked for her membership card.  The customer was given a pristine copy of the BJ's Journal and the Member's coupon book for the month.  Genius!!

Obviously, you can't just grab a ton of these books and you should use the book you received in the mail.  But, if you really did forget your book, why not ask for an extra that is just sitting at Member Services anyway?  So, I did.  (I was actually in line to return the second pack of paper towels that I mistook for toilet paper).  Even though I finished my transaction and wasn't going to use these coupons now, I went ahead and asked for the coupon book.  Cha-ching!

Next time I forget my coupon book, I'll ask for a book before I start shopping!

Savings Scenario #2:  Return Coupons instead of Merchandise

Yes, I looked through the book to see if there were any coupon opportunities I missed.  Sure enough, there was a $5 coupon for the diapers that I had just purchased and loaded in the van.  It was naptime, so I made a plan to come back solo after dinner to return the diapers and buy another box of diapers with the coupon.  You could argue that the time spent returning to the store might not be worth $5, but the thrill of saving money was enticing.

Now, here's where my return trip was indeed profitable.  I mentioned to the Member Services associate that I was only returning the merchandise so I could go back and buy another one using the coupon.  Would I be able to just return and repurchase it here with the coupon and save us both some time?  She did me one better when she said, "You don't even have to bring the merchandise next time.  Just bring in your member card, your receipt and the coupon and we'll redeem it for you."  She promptly completed the transaction and handed me $5.  Sweet!!!

This means that anytime I find a coupon for items that I purchased while the coupon is valid, I can still redeem the coupon AFTER the purchase.  Better yet, I don't have to lug in the merchandise and "return" it.  They'll just scan the receipt.

I found my BJ's Journal when I checked the mail and sure enough, there was a $3 coupon for the toilet tissue I just bought.  No worries.  Next time I'm at or near BJ's in the next two weeks, a quick trip to Member Services with my coupon and my receipt will net me an easy $3.

And, yes, you can stack manufacturer coupons for even more savings.  Happy $hopping!







1 comment:

Sarah S said...

You can also print off in store coupons on the BJ's website, as many as you want :0)