Sunday, October 16, 2011

Boo Who?

This post may draw some fire, but I think it's worth taking a chance.  As a child, I have pleasant memories of Halloween - trick or treating, swapping candy with my siblings and cousins and watching scary movies.  However, as a grown-up, I've struggled with a holiday that glorifies gore and evil.  As a Christian, I have wavered on whether I should take part in Halloween celebrations, ignore them or somehow modify them to be unscary but still fun.

I live in an ugly, violent world and Halloween could be a way to glorify all this.  While it's tempting to hide away and isolate myself from all the spookiness, I have found something worth trying.  Getting Booed....

The concept is simple, go to www.BeenBooed.com, print out the "You've Been BOO-ed" poem and graphic and leave it with a sweet treat on some unsuspecting neighbor's front door.  There's no ulterior motive.  There's no plea to join a church.  There's no position one way or the other of whether I'm promoting Satan's work on the most sacreligious of holidays.  But there is something....

For the first time in a while, I am seriously contemplating leaving a secret treat to unsuspecting neighbors that I have never taken the time to connect with.  I am expanding my horizons and looking at who in my community I could "BOO" since it's totally anonymous.  It certainly is not evangelism, but who's to stop me from praying for my neighbor as I leave their treat? Who's to stop me from doing something kind?  What can stop me from giving something fun and joyful to a complete stranger with no strings attached?

Check it out for yourself.  There's no loaded message.  But there is a way that I can pass on joy, kindness and to be a blessing during a holiday that already knows too much salty, scary, gory, ugliness.

No comments: