Thursday, December 16, 2010

Fake Thin Mints

This is the easiest Christmas cookie recipe that I know of.  Many thanks to my sister for sharing it with me.  One Christmas a few years ago, she had me close my eyes and open my mouth.  When I bit into this delightful confection, I thought she had placed an order with the Girl Scouts.  When she told me that she made these herself, I started to drool.  The recipe is so easy, it's a crime.  I'm pleased to share it here with you. 

This cookie has since become a staple in our house for spreading Christmas cheer at cookie swaps, gift giving and just noshing right out of the freezer.  If I can make these while carrying a baby and having two young assistants help me out, anyone can make them.

Ingredients:
2-3 sleeves of Ritz Crackers (or the off-brand of butter crackers)
1 bag of Andes Candy Mints (or the Baking Chips)

Directions:
  1. If using the individually wrapped candies, unwrap and roughly chop them.
  2. Using a double boiler (or a metal bowl over a saucepan with simmering water), melt the chocolate slowly, stirring occasionally.
  3. Once the chocolate has melted, dip the cracker and shake off excess chocolate.
  4. Place chocolate covered crackers on a baking sheet covered with wax paper to cool.
  5. For faster cooling, place baking sheet in the refrigerator to set chocolate.
This will make about 6 dozen cookies.

These knock offs don't look exactly like Thin Mints, but they taste pretty close and are a cinch to make!  Store a bunch in the freezer and you have a delectable treat ready in a pinch.

This year is the first year I tried the cookies using the Andes Candies and they worked great.  Previously, I used the Wilton mint chocolate melting wafers.  While you can use a Michael's coupon and get a bag at a discount during the holidays, the Andes candies are more readily available and less expensive.  ALDI has a great knock-off of Ritz crackers and carries the Andes baking chips on seasonal clearance during Christmas.

No comments: