Friday, September 16, 2011

Saving Time and Your Sanity with Errand Angels

You are stuck in the house yet again with sick kids or maybe you are sick yourself.  You just had a baby and the relatives have all gone back home.  The emergency stash is dwindling and not only do you need to go to the store, you need to go multiple destinations criss-crossing town.

If you are like me, you don't have relatives nearby to lean on during these times.  You realize that the kids will start rioting if you give them any more goldfish crackers for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  You really do understand that newspapers are not for wiping, but, well...

Chances are, there are a bunch of us in that same boat.  A small army of women (and some men!) are currently driving around, frantically going from here to there to get all those errands done.  Now, what if we could marshall the troops and get it done more effectively?  How can we better use all this collective energy that is ALREADY buzzing around town?

I'd like to introduce the Errand Angel.  She passes by your house, drops off your food and is merrily on her way. You get the emergency stash you need at a time when you can't get it yourself.  Sound miraculous?  It could be, and it's easy to do.  All you need to do is ask.

You can harness the power of smartphones, texting and Facebook to accomplish this.  If you are going to a particular store, send a shout out letting your friends know.  You could even email your group the night before.  If someone has a need, they can let you know (privately) and you can pick up their items while you are there.  Still skeptical?  Here's my story:

After a week-long recuperation from illness, I needed stuff from Trader Joe's and ALDI on the same day.  The stores are in different towns, so I'd be hardpressed to make it to both with kids in tow.  Out of desperation, I posted a note on Facebook, asking if anyone was heading to either location.  I actually got two responses!  I was able to go to ALDI and my errand angel got me what I needed from Trader's.  Success!

I was so excited about my angel's help that I paid it forward when I went to ALDI and asked if anyone needed anything while I was there.  Since I run the same errands every week, along with other angels, this could start becoming something useful.  Errand Angels could easily stop by libraries, Post Offices and more.  I better start coming up with some ground rules.....

Errand Angel Guidelines:
  1. The Errand Angel does not make a special trip.  They would have been going to the store, library or dry cleaners anyway.
  2. The drop must be near the store or the angel's house.  The idea is to reduce driving.
  3. Do not give a laundry list of items.  Max out at five shopping items in a cart total.  This is a favor, not a replacement for your regular shopping.
  4. The recipient understands that the Errand Angel cannot guarantee that the stop will be made.  This is a courtesy service, aka favor, not a business transaction.  Life with kids is unpredictable, so it is understood that the Errand Angel is not obligated to complete the run if she encounters difficulty.
  5. Make sure you pay for your stuff.  Give your Errand Angel cash beforehand or write a check.
  6. Pay it forward and make an offer to drop-off or pickup something (if you are willing and able) when you are running errands.

No comments: