Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Dollar Days at Maryland Science Center

Our Brachiosaurus Buddy  (c) M. Ibrahim
At the risk of dealing with mobs of people, we decided to plow ahead and attempt Dollar Days at the Baltimore Inner Harbor.  For one weekend in December, Baltimore reduces the admission to many of it's museums and attractions to a dollar.  (Thanks to @worldtravelmom on Twitter for the reminder!)

Of course, The Frugal Writer has taken advantage of this deal before.  At the Aquarium one year, it was frenzied madness.  Port Discovery was also jam packed one year, and I had to get my heart out of my throat many times as I attempted to keep track of two preschoolers in the ensuing multilevel chaos.  No thanks....

This year, I decided to plot my course for the Maryland Science Center.  The third, red headed stepchild of the museum trio attracted me because:
  1. There was no ticket sale limit, so I could go after church and not risk being denied admission.
  2. Population levels would be less than the "more popular" aquarium and discovery siblings.  (My theory anyway).
  3. The exhibit spaces are wider and you can take a more leisurely pace.
  4. There is off-street parking nearby.
I was greatly rewarded for my efforts.  We all had a blast and there was something for everyone.  We didn't have to deal with the sold out crowds at the aquarium or losing body parts in Port Discovery.  The Kid's Room at the Science Center has an awesome water table and just enough manipulatives that rival Port Discovery without the mob scene or multilevel heart attack waiting to happen.  The pace was our own since you could spend as much or as little time in an exhibit area without being "herded" to the next spot.

The Water Table at MD Science Center
I was able to manuever a stroller comfortably, but was also able to ditch it in convenient parking spots, along with our cumbersome jackets, if need be.  Food was a non-issue as well and we were able to enjoy our own brown bag goodies in the cafe downstairs.  I did splurge on parking, since the streets were jam packed and it was cold.  I was appreciative of that big ticket expense later on when we ended up staying for three and a half hours.  I didn't have to worry about my car and the walk in blustery winds with three in tow was a snap.

In hindsight, I would have planned the trip a little better.  We spent so much time in Newton's Alley and the Dinosaur exhibit that we missed the Planetarium show and only had 20 minutes in the Kid's Room.  The kids didn't mind and there was plenty to see and do.  The pace was nice and unhurried, which was great since I could stop and nurse while the other two explored.  Crowd control was a non-issue, so my theory on population levels was correct even though there was actually a birthday party in session.


My budding scientists!
Of course, the kids want to come again.  And we will, on the next Dollar Days.  If this place gets too crowded, we may steal away to the Museum of Visionary Arts instead, which may prove to be another under-appreciated jewel in Baltimore.

No comments: