Monday, November 1, 2010

An Election Campaign Technique That Gets My Vote

I was dumbfounded when I went to pick up the phone in the midst of all the pre-election frenzy to get votes. Instead of getting another prerecorded message, I got a live person. Even better, the candidate's name was actually displayed on my caller ID. So I took the call.

I told the person, a volunteer telemarketer, that I would be voting in the election, but wasn't too savvy with the candidates. (Yes, I'm terribly uninformed when it comes to politics...) She was able to give me a nice summary of the things the candidate hopes to accomplish if I vote for her and the issues that she will address. Sure, the caller could spin things to make the candidate sound great. But the difference is that I had an opportunity to have a dialog about these issues.

So guess what? I'll be voting for this candidate. Had I been really informed in politics, I would have had an opportunity to ask more questions, ask about specific issues and have, gasp, a CONVERSATION with a real person, instead of listening to yet another message sucking up my answering machine's recording time. With my little guy tugging at my leg and my phone time grinding to a halt, this method worked.

No comments: